Re: [MV] New batteries in M35...very slight spark when connecting ground

From: m35products (m35prod@optonline.net)
Date: Mon Dec 20 2004 - 15:14:28 PST

Mike, there are a few things that need to be asked:

Was any equipment turned on? I often forget to turn of the 3-handle light
switch, and leave my dash lights on. They draw so little, that they will not
run down the batteries, but will draw enough to make a visible spark (at
night).

You can take an ohmmeter and place its probes between the + battery cable
(removed from the battery for this test) and the truck frame-ground. You
should see only the tiniest of reading, indicating normal leakage. The
leakage can be any component that is damp or has internal plastic parts that
are breaking down with age. (Light switch, starter switch, etc)

Try to isolate the item that is causing the meter indication, by
disconnecting various wires. A little leakage is expected.

Arthur