Re: [MV] The future: In armour/camo

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Mon Dec 20 2004 - 22:32:17 PST

Hi Jim,

>Actually I believe its called the Army Combat Uniform

Actually, we are both correct :-) The original designation was "Advanced
Combat Uniform" back when I first got wind of it (Winter of 2003). But
as you point out, this was changed at some point in 2004 and I forgot all
about it. Oddly enough a LTC associated with the program recently
emailed me and he still calls it "Advanced Combat Uniform". Conflicting
nomenclature is pretty common so I'm not surprised.

As a piece of trivia, the Army started out calling the new uniform "CCU"
(Close Combat Uniform) way back during the initial trials period. These
were produced in a variety of different patterns and physical designs.
Some CCUs were sent over to the Stryker Brigade in Iraq for field trials.
 However, the latter used the standard DCU (Desert Combat Uniform) 3
color camo cloth and not the digital pattern used for the ACU.

Steve