Re: [MV] 5T turbo usage

From: Squirt_Truck (squirt_truck@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Dec 28 2004 - 05:47:03 PST

Jim,
The 800 series trucks use a commercial engine that has
been "sorta militarized", the 900s that I have worked
with use a turbo LDS-465-2 engine.
The LDS-465 family (as opposed to the LDT-465
family)share only the basic block components. The
rods, pistons, heads, injectors, entire lubrication
system and cooling system is different. It is a part
of the fact that the LDS engines produce a
significantly greater output.

The move to a naturally aspirated engine was most
likely an effort to control cost with commercial
components and to simplify operations. (no extend
warm-up and no cool-down required) and still have the
restricted power requirement that the military wanted.

Any other thoughts on the non-turbo approach will be
appreciated.

Squirt-Truck