Re: [MV] NDCC tubeless tire? Why not?

From: rcakitty@verizon.net
Date: Tue Dec 28 2004 - 08:07:36 PST

In the middle '50's when the transportation industry went to the tubeless tire, both Goodyear and Firestone came up with their own solutions. Goodyear used conventional sized multipiece rims,i.e. 20",22" and used an 'O' ring to seal the air. Firestone elected to used a one piece drop center design as we know the truck tubeless rims today. Over time the Firestone design won in the marketplace largely, I suspect, for the reason stated here so often - the simplicity and safety of the one piece rim. They also as part of their design increased the rim diameter by 2.5" from the tube-type norm,i.e. 22.5(20),24.5(22)etc. They also (my guess) had to increase the tire width by 1" in each size to get the same load carrying capacity(size for size because as you probably know tire carrying capacity is, in part, based on air volume) which results in the following equivalents: 9.00x20(10-22.5),11.00x20(12-22.5) - to explain the two sizes in most general 2 1/2 & 5 ton MV use. So IF (after all this) your question is: Can I u
sed tubeless tires on my MV intermixed with tubetype? The answer is: Yes, all you have to do is find the appropriate rims(easier to do for the 5 T than the 2 1/2 T but both possible) I'm done!!! Robert Anderson 12/28