Re: [MV] Super Singles..

From: David Dunn (dunn_d@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Thu Dec 30 2004 - 18:03:08 PST

Dick
I converted my '99 Ram 3500 4x4 to single rear tires ( and fronts use same
rims ) a few years back. Worse part was finding a reasonably price bed w/o
the flares ( there are big holes cut in the dually bed under the flare for
the fuel filler). Remove the offset adapters on the front hubs ( they're
bolted to standard lug studs), get shorter lug studs for the rear ( if the
new wheels have covers, the studs will be too long), and for the rims, I
used 8*16s with a 5" offset. These fits like stock in the front, and because
of the wider axle track in the rear, only slightly extend beyond the bed (
small fender flare can fix that, but it is no worse than a 2500 with 8" rims
and the standard 4" offset). I'm using BFG 285/75 ATs ( max load rating,
3305lbs).

Someone else asked why not get a single wheel 1 ton truck... Dodge and GM
did not offer them during the late 90s and early '00s. And there is a big
difference on the brakes between a 2500 (3/4T), and a 3500 (1T). Ford was
the only one with a full line of trucks.

Dave Dunn