Re: [MV] rear inner axle seal on M35

From: Bjorn Brandstedt (super_deuce@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Dec 31 2004 - 04:02:17 PST

A bit confused about nomenclature here. The "inner" axle seal keeps grease
out of the brake drum and water (when the brake drum gets submerged) from
getting into the bearings.
The "outer" seal is the one that needs the keyway plugged and it keeps axle
housing gear oil from getting into the bearings.
At least, this is my understanding.
After fording the truck, one of my "inner" seals had failed and water had
been mixed witht the bearing grease.
Currently, I have one "outer" seal with a tiny nick along the edge, that
appears to be the cause of it leaking. It was checked, I thought it would be
ok, but I thought wrong...still leaking.
Those keyway plugs are a PITA. They are sealing by virtue of the pressure
from the lock ring tab, which means that the cork has to be exactly the
right length to do its job. Too short = no pressure = no seal.

Bjorn