Heading for the scales, now open...

From: Bjorn Brandstedt (super_deuce@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Dec 31 2004 - 04:36:57 PST

Completed my third trip to Asheville yeterday. Two of the four weigh
stations were open. At the first one everybody more or less just drove
through. Since I was interested in my GVW, I parked and walked to the
"office". The inspector was very friendly and helped answer questions about
the log book (he didn't know the GVW of my vehicle, "twenty something"). As
I'm talking with him , a continous stream of trucks go through the scales as
he was looking at my log book entries.
He did say that with or without a DOT#, vehicles above 10,000 lb are
required to keep a log and go through the scales.

At the second weigh station, the official was busy inspecting a utility
truck in the parking area and again, trucks were going through the motions
of stopping and going past the scales without anybody in the booth.
I parked and again he obviously had no idea that I had even driven across
the scales. He was looking at a pile of paperwork presented by the utility
truck driver, who was sweating it out.
Along the hwy, I had spotted signs about fuel tax compliance, so I decided
to ask about how they were checking the fuel and if they would be able to
tell if a person was using kerosene or biodiesel. He didn't know what
biodiesel was. Basically he said that if the fuel wasn't red, you'd be ok...

Meanwhile, the deuce is performing like a champ. Gonna give it a good going
over before the next trip.

Happy New Year to all of you,

Bjorn
MVPA19212