Re: [MV] Personnel trailer aka cattle cars

From: International Movie Services (ims@telus.net)
Date: Sat Jan 01 2005 - 12:22:51 PST

Still lots of these at Fort Lewis. Those that aren't in use to haul
personnel are spotted around the ranges for use as shelters. Back in the
days of wool battledress we were hauled in plywood side trailers with a
pipework framework which supported a removable canvas top. Mostly we had the
sides rolled up and fastened which was great on hot summer days; I don't
remember seats ever being installed and the front of the box was rounded on
the corners presumably to clear the tractor unit which was a cab-over
Autocar. We took great delight when passing through towns in singing very
rude verses of the old standards, "Eskimo Nell"; the North Atlantic
Squadron", etc., in these days of political correctness we would probably be
hung but it was delightful to see the reactions of the recipients of our
captive audience. Mothers clapping their hands over the tender ears of their
children; aghast little old ladies and thumbs up from veterans (still lots
of WW1 around then). Ah, sweet memories!!
Cheers!
Ian