CUCV wiring question - problem solved!!!!

From: John Doherty (mofta@hiwaay.net)
Date: Mon Jan 10 2005 - 14:41:12 PST

Well, I'll be the first to admit that having access to manuals saves you a
BUNCH of time!!!!

First of all, to recap, I had no power to any lights or accessories, but
M1028 would crank and run just fine.

I had installed two new batteries, checked all the fuses individually,
checked the fusible links, etc. Had power to the fuse block in random
locations.

Seperating the fuse block and cleaning some corrosion got me a few more
powered locations.

Was able to download a -34 manual and printed out the schematics and got
really stumped. Power routing just didn't jive with what I had.

Printed out the page on flashers and fuses from the -20 manual and located
my problem in just a few minutes!

There is a UNMARKED 30A (Headlamp) Fuse in the fuse block. Mine was
completely missing the fuse. The wiring schematics show wiring leading to
the fuse positioned above that location by counting the spaces. Which is a
10A Stoplight fuse.

I felt rather silly about then, placed a fuse in the open space, turned on
the toggle switch, pulled the light switch, and still had no lights!!!!

Both of the headlamps were blown, as well as the marker/turn lamp bulbs
beneath them, and the side marker bulbs. The rear lamps worked though.

After replacing a selection of bulbs and lamps, I have exterior lights.

Now, on the all those dash lights, behind that good inst panel fuse.

Thanks for all the suggestions from everyone.

Again, manuals can be a blessing! But, never take them for gospel.

John