Re: [MV] M35 hitch for regular trailer -PICS!

From: Patrick Jankowiak (recycler@swbell.net)
Date: Fri Jan 14 2005 - 19:28:06 PST

Folks, I value your opinions, Here are the pics, please comment
on the issues like safety, etc.

http://www.montagar.com/~patj/m35/m35_drophitch_12.JPG

http://www.montagar.com/~patj/m35/m35_drophitch_02.JPG

It's made of 3/8" cold rolled steel plates. The backing is
12"x18", the sides and base are 6" deep.

The welds were made by TIG on the back, stick on the front. I
took care to make good penetration, as a friend showed me how, he
did most of it and I did some.

The two bolts are the same grade 8 3/4" bolts which mount the
pintle bearing. They were just long enough to be flush with the
nuts behind the frame.

The front and rear pintle bearings were reinstalled for added
strength, and later the assy will be removed and a hole cut in
the hitch to accommodate the pintle shaft. The pintle on these
trucks does indeed have a huge nut in the back, and a 3/8" thick
washer between the pintle nut and the inside bearing. (the
bearings are really just castings the shaft passes through, and
they have grease fittings). I will use a thin washer and hope the
cotter pin will still fit through the nut and pintale shaft, we
will see.

The whole thing weighs about 50 lbs. I intend to pull a small
civvy trailer with an ATV and generator, <2000lbs total.

Since I have never done anything like this, I would appreciate
opinions about it.

Patrick Jankowiak wrote:

--

Best regards,