Re: [MV] Noise levels in M series veh

From: Mike (michael@tsixroads.com)
Date: Mon Jan 17 2005 - 21:50:02 PST

CUCVs don't have any of the sound insulation that the civvy trucks do. I have owned several. They have a pad on the hood and one on the firewall. They also have carpet in the floor and a headliner. I have heard something about an intake muffler on the civvi 6.2 but haven't researched it yet. CUCVs only have a vinyl floor pad which, I have removed from mine due to the rust issue. My M35A2 hardtop has insulation in it and doesn't seem too loud but I don't drive it much and haven't driven it any at highway speeds.

Since the CUCV is basically a civvy truck, it's going to have more thermal
and noise insulation than a dedicated tactical vehicle design. Same with the
M880. If you can't talk in a CUCV at speed, I'd be curious to find out
where the noise is originating from. I'd also be curious to see what the
manufacturers noise ratings would be....civilian customers won't put up with
really high noise levels in a light vehicle like that. Sales would suffer.

Greg

You can talk and hear in my 1009. Even the person in the back seat.

M1009s aren't geared as low as the rest of the CUCV family. I usually don't run much over 55 but it actually seems to get a second wind and runs a little better and quiter at 60 to 65. I will check the motor mounts though just to be sure. I put brake lines on my M1009 project truck. Still alot to go before it is roadworthy though.

Mike
Tishomingo, MS