2 questions re the M35A2 mushroom filter.

From: AVarvarigo@aol.com
Date: Sat Jan 29 2005 - 09:37:09 PST

Hi all.
1st question, my Deuce came with a one layer kind-a curved mushroom on the side of the truck for the inlet to the air filter. I have seen others that are kind-a flat on top if stood on a table, but almost 2 leveled. I was wondering which is newer if that's how they came about, the roundish one or the 2 level one? My Deuce is a 71 by the way.
Second question, if riding in heavy rain or the mushroom is covered with snow after a heavy snow storm etc. Would the engine suck in the water into the air filter housing and possible further, when started/running. I always clean as much as I can of the piled up snow before starting it, but sometimes there is frozen snow on the wire mesh of the mushroom.
Thanks
Tony.