Re: [MV] The game's afoot, (continued)

From: Stephen Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Wed Feb 02 2005 - 16:36:30 PST

I'd be a little bit careful about the charge card angle. Remember...
you could be creating a problem for some poor sod whose credit card
number was swiped.

My advice:

  First thing I would do is get the CSC number from this guy. If he
balks, it is obvious why. If he gives you one then you can move onto
the next step. What you can do is process the card as a HOLD charge
(or I think they call it pre-authorization). Meaning, you have only
asked the credit card company to place x Dollars of the guy's credit
aside from you, but not send it to your account. If the card is legit,
and the credit limit has not been reached, this will happen no problem.
  Then you can ask for the charge to be authorized and sent to your
account when you are more sure that it is legit. If you never ask for
the authorization the hold will automatically expire and go away, no
harm no foul. The card user might see the hold charge and challenge
it, which also covers your butt.

After you have placed the charge, wait at least 3-4 weeks before
shipping anything. Chargebacks for fraud charges can take some time.
The fraud we were hit with in late Dec and early January is only now
being sent to us by various credit card companies. We will have to
refund this money plus some fees, because the American way is to always
stick the small business guy with the losses instead of the credit card
companies which are still dragging their feet on better security
measures. It's good to be the king, I guess :-)

Steve