Re: [MV] Latest development ... M151 still misses

From: Muttguru@aol.com
Date: Sat Feb 05 2005 - 13:48:11 PST

In a message dated 05/02/05 18:30:06 GMT Standard Time, milveh@sbcglobal.net
writes:

<< If that vaccum needle starts going wild I am pulling the intake and see
whas up! >>

Here's another two or three possibilities that I've come across, which if all
else fails, may help.

There could be a leak at the junction of the PCV (that contraption on top of
the inlet manifold) and the manifold itself. I have seen some of these with a
hairline crack
in the brass, just where the threads of the PCV meet the manifold. If you
have been fiddling with the PCV, then a crack is very possible. And the PCV is
located between cylinders 2 & 3, so it could affect one or the other cylinder
more than the others..

It could also be:-
Inner distributor cap faulty (tracking inside cap, look for track-line). Or
it could be that the contact face in the cap (for that specific spark-plug
lead) is corroded/eroded.

Rotor arm could be touching one of the feed-wires to the solid-state ignition
system (if fitted). I worked on one mutt where the feed wires to the
solid-state unit had not been correctly routed under the clamping "ears" next to the
coil, and the tip of the rotor arm had gradually chafed into one of the feed
wires. This was causing a backfire and a shortout every now and then. Never
seen this problem before, but I've added it to my list of troubleshoots now

A final one is that there could be some excessive play in the rotor arm
shaft, and it is oscillating (??) the rotor arm away from #2 segment of the inner
cap.

Whatever happens, please let us know what the eventual answer was.

Ken