Re: [MV] Ebay seller

From: Ron (rojoha@adelphia.net)
Date: Sun Feb 06 2005 - 05:00:46 PST

Thank you Patrick, that makes perfect sense now.
    On a tour of the 'Battle Management Room" at the Cape Cod PAVE PAWS 2
years ago, I was amazed to see the 5 tracking displays at the operating
stations were still 24 inch or so circular green/white screens with touch
pens and huge track balls mounted in a large steel hooded console, just like
they were 20 years previously on my first tour. You had to 'touch' the
'target' you're interested in to get info on a separate screen. Gee whiz
stuff 20 years before, but downright scary now.
    The guide stated that they were due for upgrade last year to a 'more'
modern display along with new CPUs which would eliminate a couple of rooms
of hardware.
    Another fascinating thing was the 'Red Phone'. If you saw it in a movie
you'd laugh. because it was just a chipped red painted metal box with ten
black pushbuttons with lights, a speaker grill and a very chipped and
battered old style (think 50's type) red painted handset.
    Kind of like a prop you'd cobble together for your 5th graders school
play when he told you he needed it for tonight's performance.