Re [MV] M35A2 Question

From: david gudmunsen (kroctec@btopenworld.com)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2005 - 10:15:39 PST

----------
From: david gudmunsen <kroctec@btopenworld.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 18:07:20 +0000
To: Ryan Gill <rmgill@mindspring.com>
Cc: <mil-veh@mil-veh.org>
Subject: Re: [MV] M35A2 Question

Hi Ryan,

Mostly you can put the reasons for allowing clearance/backlash etc is
twofold firstly to prevent siezure of the mating parts with resultant
potential for serious damage and further to allow for metal to metal being
prevented and a film of lube remaining in place.

For example if you leave insufficient clearance on piston rings the will
likely meet and cause break up very soon after running the engine. The
clearance on gearteeth in a manual gearbox can be really useful since it
enables clutchless gearchanges to be made once the vehicle is moving - with
light pressure on the gear shift as you go from foot on the gas to foot off
the gearbox will easily slip into neutral, adjusting engine revs to
roadspeed in the new gear and similar gentle pressure on the gearshift will
engage new gear. With practice you can get this right every time without
crashing the gears. (gets you home after a clutch failure)

Best regards from David Gudmunsen

PS If you are having to do the clutchless gear change remember to stop the
engine when you stop the vehicle and start in gear.