Re: [MV] M35A2 Question

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2005 - 10:34:19 PST

At 6:07 PM +0000 2/7/05, david gudmunsen wrote:
>Hi Ryan,
>
>Mostly you can put the reasons for allowing clearance/backlash etc is
>twofold firstly to prevent siezure of the mating parts with resultant
>potential for serious damage and further to allow for metal to metal being
>prevented and a film of lube remaining in place.

[snip]

I understand why, the question is how? How do you
measure the clearance? When you install a starter
in a car, usually you're given a steel rod of a
given diameter that is inserted into a given
point to verify the clearance. On these PTO's
short of an educated guess, how do you actually
check the clearance? The case is designed based
on my viewing of them to prevent the insertion of
a gauge to check the spacing between the gears
from the side. Is there a special 90° feeler
gauge that you get with the PTO that allows one
to check the clearance between the two critical
gears?

--
- Ryan Montieth Gill           www.mindspring.com/~rmgill/ -
- rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com               ||