RE: [MV] Solvent question

From: Cliff S (mtnbikinssgt@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2005 - 11:09:42 PST

Dan, I do HazMat for Camp Pendleton........I can tell you what we do, but then I would have to kill you.  So here goes.  You know Marines........and Killing, hehehehe.

Im my life prior to HazMat training, I used Diesel fuel, my dad still uses it.  It works great.  But some of the long term effects preclude you from having kids the right way........go figure.  Your hands are one of the most "absorbant" skin parts of your body that come in contact with stuff.  Everything!!

Now with all my training, we use "non-aqueous" (no water) cleaners.  Hydro Carbon cleaners (that cool DrySolvent stuff) has been outlawed, Though its still in the system.  If you look in some of the 4x4 magazines you will see what is the "newest" craze.......     Simple green and a pressure washer work wonders as well.  Down and dirty, if you look on the back of the packaging and there are no rules for "disposal" (hazmat term) or is says you can pour it down the drain......(not DRANO, you wont have aluminium left!) then you should be good.  I know I havent given you the _______ product to use, except simple green, but there are many out there.......check your local store and see what fits your purpose, the shelf is full of em.........I like oven cleaners also, you just have to watch what your doing with it.......

Usual disclaimers apply, as I have only touched the tip of the ole iceberg on this HazMat stuff.  By the way I am an instructor if anyone needs anymore advice/training.

Cliff Smith SSgt USMC Iraq

From: Dan Maguire <dmaguire@mchsi.com> To: "Military Vehicles Mailing List" <mil-veh@mil-veh.org> Subject: [MV] Solvent question Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 00:38:06 -0500 Hi All, TMs frequently suggest using dry cleaning solvent for clening this, that, and the other thing. What do y'all use instead? (A few things come to mind.) Or is there some black market dry cleaning solvent operation that I am unaware? I would rather ask what to do now than how to undo later. Thanks, Dan Auburn, IN ===Mil-Veh is a member-supported mailing list=== To unsubscribe, send e-mail to: <mil-veh-off@mil-veh.org> To switch to the DIGEST mode, send e-mail to <mil-veh-digest@mil-veh.org> To reach a human, contact <ack@mil-veh.org>