Re: [MV] Solvent question

From: Michael Howell, DO (michael@tsixroads.com)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2005 - 22:26:28 PST

I am not sure that anyone has really answered the question yet. Wasn't
there a discussion about this before that mentioned an official
recommendation for a replacement for dry cleaning solution.

I have been doing some goggling and came up with a few questions of my
own. I assume "dry cleaning fluid" that is mentioned in all of the TMs
is PCE as in the following quote.

The most common solvent used in the industry is PCE, which is also known
as tetrachloroethylene. PCE is classified by the International Agency
for Research on Cancer (IARC) as “probably carcinogenic to humans (Group
2A).” If this solvent makes its way to soil or groundwater, the material
may break down over time to trichloroethylene (TCE) and then to
dichloroethane, and finally to vinyl chloride, a known carcinogen.

I used to thing the old break cleaner was the same thing as dry cleaning
fluid and used it as such but tonight I learned it was TCE. I have been
using the new "TCE free" break cleaner in its place but I don't like it
as well. I did find a can of break cleaner at Wal Mart that seemed to
imply it was TCE. I will get the can and report back after I post this.

I also found the following:

1.1 WHAT IS STODDARD SOLVENT?
Stoddard solvent is a widely used, man-made organic solvent that comes
from the refining of crude oil. It is a
petroleum mixture made from distilled alkanes, cycloalkanes
(naphthenes), and aromatic compounds. The chemicals in
Stoddard solvent are similar to those in white spirits, which are also
discussed in this profile. Stoddard solvent is
commonly referred to as dry cleaning safety solvent, naphtha safety
solvent, petroleum solvent, PD-680, varnoline, and
spotting naphtha. It also goes by the registered trade names Texsolve S
and Varsol 1. Stoddard solvent is used as a
paint thinner, as a solvent in some types of photocopier toners, in some
types of printing inks, in some adhesives, as a
dry cleaning sollvent, and as a general cleaner and degreaser. It is
produced and used as a colorless, flammable liquid
but will turn into a vapor (gas) at temperatures ranging from 150-200°C.
Stoddard solvent smells and tastes like
kerosene. You can smell it when the level in the air is about 0.34 parts
of Stoddard solvent in a million parts of air
(ppm) or 2 milligrams of Stoddard solvent per cubic meter of air
(mg/m3). See Chapters 3 and 4 for more information
on the physical and chemical properties of Stoddard solvent and how it
is produced and used.

For more than you ever wanted to know here is the full text of the above:

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxprofiles/tp79.pdf

A link about TCE
http://www-nehc.med.navy.mil/herc/Products/tce2fact.pdf