Re: [MV] M151 mystery miss SOLVED!

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2005 - 08:57:36 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mil-Veh Co." <milveh@sbcglobal.net>
Sent: Monday, February 07, 2005 11:52 PM
Subject: Re: [MV] M151 mystery miss SOLVED!

> 11 P.M., PROBLEM SOLLLLLLLLLLLVED!!!!!

>> ANSWER: A broken 14 gauge hot wire going into the
> dist., giving low voltage.

I've had the wire leading from the filter assy at the LT input-end of the
distributor go before. It corroded really badly ("fuzzed up") right at the
point at which it's soldered to the filter, and became a nice random
resistance while the vehicle was running. One of the things I'm guilty of
when troubleshooting electrical stuff is I usually sort of hurriedly glance
at the meter looking for opens, when I should be paying more attention to
the reading itself. My high-resistance connection read continuity, of
course, so I didn't pursue it further at the time. I think I wound up
measuring the coil input voltage with the points closed and was led to the
filter/wire assy that way. It wasn't my favourite troubleshooting
experience. I believe there are still several uncooperative tools on the
roof of the barn in memorium of the occasion.

(Glad you solved it. Another one for the collective knowledge base of the
mil-veh list.)