Re: [MV] 24v charger

From: Ron (rojoha@adelphia.net)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2005 - 14:16:20 PST

As AP said, yes and no.

    Theoretically a 24VDC system supplies 24VDC to all accessories, as all
TRUE military systems do. When batteries are installed in a real MV they are
both (supposedly) individually fully charged on a 12 VDC charger, then
installed. Henceforth, they will see a 24VDC draw on the batteries in
series.
    Not so with the CUCV abortion charging system, especially the
M1010/M1028 200 AMP system.
    Short answer, for the CUCV series only, buy two 12VDC automatic
chargers, 20 amp each, permanently mount on fender or under seats. Wire each
charger to a battery, twin the 120VAC power cords into one plug and hang
through grill like block heater plug. Plug in once a week over night to
allow both batteries fully charge. 24VDC Solargizer will (theoretically)
work on both, but I prefer two 12VDC models for the CUCVs.
    Putting two unequally charged 12 volt batteries in series and then
charging them with either the vehicle charging system or an external 24VDC
charger will cook the good one while trying to charge the low one. Since the
CUCVs draw off both batteries, they have TWO 12VDC alternators that are
wired separately into the batteries. So plug in chargers should be separate
also, to mimic the vehicles charging system.

    Of course, that's just my opinion.....

    Ronzo