RE: [MV] CUCV Saga Continues

From: Stu Ellis (stuinnh@mvnut.us)
Date: Sat Feb 19 2005 - 04:36:48 PST

Did you follow the instructions in the TM9 for setting up the timing for the
pump?

              "Stu"
Southern New Hampshire, USA
      "Live Free Or Die"

MVPA #14790
1967 M151A1 Jeep
1964 M416 Trailer
1986 M1009 Blazer

Hi All

It's been almost 2 months now since my M1009 just died and quit running.
I Got a lot of good advise on what to look for from you guys, and
determined the injector pump went bad. I bought a rebuilt one with less
than 2000 miles on it when the 6.2 block it was on, blew up, so the
gentleman parted out the residue,and I believe, stuck a 350 Chevy in his
M1009.

 I installed this pump, and have been attempting to start the vehicle,
with no luck. I DO have fuel to the injectors, so this pump does work. I
removed the fuel line from the fuel housing and determined that I have
good fuel flow/pressure (the fuel shoots out almost a foot). When I
began to remove the old pump, I completely removed the water pump plate
to gain access to the pump gears, instead of woking through the oil
filler hole, you have easier acess to the pump pulley this way.

I did not bother to line up the "alignement marks" on the two pulleys, I
just scribed a line down the center of both pulleys where they meshed, I
also scribed a line on the pump's mounting plate, in line with the
factory scribe mark on the pump housing itself. I then removed the old
pump and installed the new one in about 20 minutes, to make sure no one
bumped the engine over, and screwed up my marks. All the marks were
aligned exactly like they were before I removed anything. I then put the
rest of the motor back together, and tried to fire her up.

 What did I do wrong? What am I missing? I removed the fuel cut off
solenoid wire and made sure I had fuel coming from the filter (a new
one), then re-installed the wire, once I had fuel that far. I then had
my wife hold the throttle to the floor and crank the engine over until I
had fuel driping from the loose, but attached injector lines. Once I had
fuel to the injectors I tightened up the injector lines. With my foot to
the floor, she'll sputter like she want's to start but won't run for
more than about 2-3 seconds and really rough, I also get lot's of white
smoke from the exhaust.

I don't have a clue! So I hope somebody here can has the answer (signed;
Dazed and Confused in AZ).

Thanks - Tom Kelly