Re: [MV] Deuce Color?

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Sat Feb 19 2005 - 10:58:29 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bones" <mrbones@ixks.com>
Sent: Saturday, February 19, 2005 10:22 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] Deuce Color?

> For the time period that I was in the Seabees (1985-1993), ALL of our
> vehicles in NMCB 5, RNMCB 15, NMCB 24 were painted the Vietnam era gloss /
> semi-gloss dark OD Marine Corps color with yellow Seabee stencil and
serial
> number below it on the doors, horizontally-oriented red diamond-shaped
> sticker with white battalion no. on front bumper passenger's side, rear
> bumperette driver's side (called a "beep" sticker, if I recall correctly).

Excellent post. Thanks for taking all the time to share that lot. The film
company I work for just picked up a 1988 Chrysler Minivan in the shiny Navy
green paint with "Seabee" stencils and the 'beep' stickers you mentioned,
and when I was down in Ft. Lewis last, it looked as though some small Navy
unit (pretty sure it was Seabees) turned in their deuces and trailers all at
once. There were two deuces in what seemed a semi-gloss-to-gloss version of
34094 Green ('383 Green') with M105 trailers (and a water buffalo, I think)
pretty much the same colour (though the trailers were more faded), and none
of it looked like repainted Army handoffs as the truck's dashboard and all
the other bits and pieces seemed to be the Navy colour right from the
factory and had no obvious signs of overspray. Truck had black serial
numbers on the doors of the format "97-xxxxx" with some hastily painted-over
unit insignia below (black and triangular?), where the trailers had the
s/n's on the yoke and tailgate (maybe sides too - I forget) with a
full-colour version of the unit insignia on the truck in the form of a
sticker applied near the serial numbers in each instance.

(The 'beep' sticker on our Seabee minivan is a white diamond with a red "18"
in the middle of it - applied both front and rear. The 'Seabee' insignia
itself isn't a sitcker but is instead painted on in yellow beneath the
stick-on black reflective serial numbers applied to each door, and because
of the shape of the door, kind of got applied somewhat 'messy'. Like other
Navy vehicles I've seen or have out at the the film place, the serial
numbers also start out with the "97" in the format "97-xxxx", even though
the years of the various vehicles and contracts they would've been procured
on vary greatly.)