RE: [MV] CUCV Glow Plugs

From: Stu Ellis (stuinnh@mvnut.us)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2005 - 11:59:14 PST

First time I installed glow plugs in my CUCV, I bought new torque wrench
from Sears, and did things like the TM9 said with torque settings. When I
was done couldn't get it started. I had snapped off all 8 glow plugs and
had to have the truck towed in to shop to get all 8 drilled out after they
took front fenders etc. off to get to them. $1100.00. Picked it up a week
later and drove it home. Got it home and saw pool of oil under engine.
Drove it back and they found leaking oil lines. $150.
All this cost because of hard starting problems in the end caused by fuel
pressure switch, not glow plugs or fuel drain back (I installed electric
pump $40, check valve $15 , had injection pump rebuilt $345 and even
installed new mechanical fuel pump $35).

That's how I got to know my CUCV so well. Since I have no natural
mechanical ability, everything is the hard way.

              "Stu"
Southern New Hampshire, USA
      "Live Free Or Die"

MVPA #14790