iwo jima plus 60

From: timothy.smith1@att.net
Date: Mon Feb 21 2005 - 20:21:04 PST

Fellas,

I am presently recovering from The Admiral Nimitz Museum's grueling (for us organizers, anyway) two-day commemoration/parade/reenactment of the battle of Iwo Jima (Fredericksburg & Doss, Tx). My buddy and I worked our tails off trying to square away the museum's DUKW and undo the harm done by some goober who should never have been allowed to touch it. It was a valiant effort but we simply ran out of time.

An LVT that was trucked to Fredericksburg (all the way from Ohio) died shortly after its arrival and another radial was pulled from the Nimitz Museum's stores but the time required for the LVT's owner to make the switch was also prohibitive. As a result, the LVT was towed into position and figured prominently in much of the filming by Flashback Productions. These very nice folks were all over the battlefield, before, during and after.

Charles Varner was among the participants taking the time & effort to enhance the quality of the event by bringing a historic military vehicle of which there were many (including my 4-year old son's jeep, SNAFU II). Among other things, a fully operational quad .50 was on hand complimented by one of our list member's half-track with yet another gas-gun quad.

Many Iwo vets (and other vets) came to watch and permit us the opportunity to honor them which was very gratifying. Should you care to find out more about this event, go to google, click on 'news' and type in key words appropriate to this event.

Regards,
TJ Smith
MVPA 21162
Boerne, Texas