Re: [MV] Todays WW2 discoveries

From: flyn3nvt@adelphia.net
Date: Wed Feb 23 2005 - 17:03:28 PST

 This is Very true, though some may not? I used to live in S. Fla for a few yrs and as a Historian, my father and I went to alot of the old training bases that littered the state. My father works for the Ft Laud international airport, it used to be a Naval Air Station, home base to the famous Flight 19. Well a few yrs ago they were building a access road on the airport. As the story told to me by my father, the dozer operator was working the area and out of the mound of dirt came some large objects with fins and alot of them!!!!!!! Imediatly the operator fled the scene!!! Instantly my father, being former USAF EOD approached the pile and imediatly recognised them as 500 lb practice bombs. Aparently what they found was the dump used by the navy. He searched the area and brought home a MK 82 practice bomb, emergency escape hatch to the turret of a TBM Avenger and a USN FT. Lauderdale lisense plate dated 42 that he restored and put on his county car.

I personally found some stuff too. As I worked one of the airports in the area. It was called a Satalight field for Lauderdale........shaped as a waggon wheel with runways, they were as wide as the carrier decks where they were used for training. When the company I worked for was moving to a new facility, one of my friends went over as was looking at the hangars being built. I went over and we were walking around and I found some spent brass dated 42, then I found some live 30 cal rounds linked together.........7 of them dated 43. We eventually found some parts to airplanes and a spent 30 cal barrel.

Its neat to find old stuff..............would love to go to england and france and do the same.............but there is still to much here in the usa.

Jeff in vt