Re: [MV] Fw: [MV] 12v M38A1

From: Thomas M McHugh (tmmchugh@msn.com)
Date: Thu Mar 03 2005 - 08:47:23 PST

Chris,

I bought my M38A1 because I drove them for 2 decades, during my 43 years
service. I put 3 Regular Army, 30 NJ National Guard, 10 in Army Reserve.
I drove one of the last 2 M38A1s in the NJ National Guard, until an idiot LT
destroyed it, by speeding during 24 hours Tactical Blackout conditions. He
hit a parked Tank & unfortunately he survived.

My M38A1 was owned by many Dept's & people before I got it & the complete
front floor system was rotted out. Jeep Parts Plus in Maine made all the
pieces & they are not cheap but are perfect. I think I paid for Pete
DeBella's mortgage for several months & perhaps many other dealers.

When stripping paint the jeep was OD, then Heavy Red, then Dark Blue, then
Half Light Blue, The White, then Tan. It is now OD with "SCARWAF"
Special Category Army Attached With Air Force identification. Painting
History: Red was Fire Co or Forest Service, Dark Blue was Civil Defense,
Civilian owners painted the Half Light Blue, next owner White & the owner I
purchased it from painted it Tan during the Gulf War.

Through the hard work & help of 3 of my sons, the repair & paint job came
out so good, I want to compete in the Motor Pool Class. The wiring alone
eliminated any serious consideration. After the remanufactured engine, new
wiring harness & 24 volt system is installed, I'll give it another shot at
the local shows.

Suggestion: If any seals in the drive train are leaking, when it is
running, go to JC Whitney & buy the Complete Seal Kit. It is much cheaper
than buying the seal kit for each unit. I found out too late. Wiring
Harness: Jeff Smith in FL.

FYI: They started making the M38A1 in August of 1952 with serial number
10,000. Mine was made in September of 1952 & it is already serial number
20,282. How's that for production figures.

If I can be any help, let me know.

Tom McHugh, NJ
1952 M38A1
M-416 Trailer