M816 WRECKER

From: EUGENE PANTANO (TRUKS1@msn.com)
Date: Fri Mar 04 2005 - 13:28:11 PST

Now that I drove everyone nuts over a pump for my wrecker boom.. here is
what happened..
The pump. and everything else on it is fine..!! The problem was the
transmission (?) --under the bed..one under --one up near the wrecker
assy...there is a shaft between the 2 with those strange U joints and
balls..( no comment)...Well, the lower one --inside the case..lost the bolt
inside --which caused the damn thing to spin on the shaft and ate the cotter
key -- the groove was not usable any longer.. So..what to do.??? I welded
the hub to the shaft inside the aluminum case...and then re torqued the
bolt..and welded it inside..to the washer and to the hub in there. Permanent
fix..Cost..4 hours work. Works fine..used it all day. Great to have it back
in service. Thanks to those that responded with pumps.. I am glad I did not
buy one..although, it was the first suspect.
Thanks again.. Gene