Re: [MV] Welding of Alternator ear

From: Bob Ternes (racecadet@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Mar 07 2005 - 10:43:12 PST

Hrm. I would perhaps look for a civvy
alternator... cheap. You're not going to want to
put welding heat on that unit while it's
assembled anyway, so even if you have to swap
internals on a junker GM alternator and just use
the case, you'd probably be better off doing this
over welding (this is probably a 10SI or 12SI).
This is fresh in my head because I just rebuilt a
10SI to 24v for my deuce engine swap. I could
just see you cooking the windings on the
stator/rotor with that much heat there.

A weld will also just be a dodgy repair and
require either a spendy AC TIG or a questionable
MIG repair, since you'd probably have to
reassemble as broken and use the ragged edge for
alignment while you tacked, and then bevel out
and do your best to recreate that broken material
along the whole line of the break, and then you
have all of the metallurgical irregularities of
the weld, fusion zone, HAZ. It can be done and
well but why bother when pull n save has
alternators for $10.

Now, if you were to continue to break ears, you
could weld gussets to a case to turn that "ear"
into more of a longer mount, but just as a
repair, I'd look elsewhere.

As far as a higher amperage alternator goes, just
match up the case, bolt up, plug in, and spin.
You can also get inside any case and put higher
amp components in there, it just depends on how
creative you want to get.

Cheers
Bob Ternes
decapitated 68 deuce with 3208 sitting on
temporary mounts

--- Michael Breedlove <gundocmike@yahoo.com>