Re: [MV] Welding of Alternator ear

From: International Movie Services (ims@telus.net)
Date: Mon Mar 07 2005 - 11:45:25 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Breedlove" <gundocmike@yahoo.com>
Sent: Monday, March 07, 2005 9:58 AM
Subject: [MV] Welding of Alternator ear

> I broke the ear off of the front of my 60 amp
> alternator on my HMMWV. Does anyone know if this can
> be welded, is there a special technique used? Also
> where can I find a good 100amp alternator that will
> fit my HMMWV brackets?
> Thanks,
> Mike

I've had several rewelded for the HMMWV film fleet, and haven't had any fail
subsequently. I don't know if there's any special technique involved
though.

Watch when you reinstall it. The reason they broke in the first place is
that when the mechs removed them, they didn't notice a spacer fall to the
ground and just reinstalled the new one without it. Once you reef down the
bolts and add a few miles - SNAP! Out of the six or so I've seen, all
snapped because of this, and all were ex-USMC. (Take a good look at the
back end when you reinstall the alternator and you can see there's a decent
gap there without the spacer in place.)