M38A1 points wear

From: Wes Knettle (wsknettl@centurytel.net)
Date: Sun Mar 13 2005 - 07:09:14 PST

Julian,
Only the early very first electronic distributor parts off the M151 will
fit the M38A1 distributor. The rest use a special windowed rotor that is
not indexed for the normal rotation of the M38A1.

I have found that many of todays drivers are very unfamiliar with the
servicing frequency requirements of the vehicles built thru the 60's. It
was very common for mechanical points to need adjusting every 1000 to
2000 miles. Are you applying a good point cam lubricant to the rubbing
block? Is your distributor shaft bushing worn allowing the cam to wobble
excessively causing rapid rubbing block wear?

Wes K

PS, Why don't you visit our M38/M38A1/M606 Yahoo Group. We have tons of
files, photos and data bases for the M series Willys 1/4 ton jeeps built
from 1950 thru 1968.