M35A2 Fuel Control Unit Assemblies

From: Verne J. Valentine (thebear@seanet.com)
Date: Sun Mar 13 2005 - 19:50:18 PST

Behind the fuel shutoff solenoid cover is a device called Fuel Control
Unit. To that device there is a rod connected. On my vehicle that rod
does not move freely. You can only move it by putting a wrench on the nut
on the fuel control unit and then you can force it to move.

When I force the fuel control unit open from the fuel cutoff position the
vehicle will start but then it goes to extremely high RPM immediately so I
have to use the fuel cut off (Engine Stop) lever to keep the rods from
going through the block.

My questions are (1) How do I free up that Fuel Control Unit? and (2) Why
does the engine go to high RPM without any depression of the foot pedal
accelerator? and (3) are these situations related??

Many thanks

Verne Valentine
MVPA 20863
M35A2