Re: [MV] Soviet mil ATV on ebay

From: Jim Webster (james.webster@iomartdsl.com)
Date: Wed Mar 16 2005 - 07:43:15 PST

Steve wrote:

> The further back you go the more true this statement is, but it really
> isn't all that relevant in today's world. Many of the states that use
> current Russian/Ukrainian equipment are quite urbanized. So I don't get
> what the deal is with the all steel tracks is now. Back in WWII...
> heck, the Soviets were at one point counting the life span of their
> equipment in days, so why splurge on extra stuff? It is one reason why
> Soviet tank crews were quite happy with Lend Lease equipment even though
> on paper they were inferior to contemporary Soviet tanks.

Yes but you have to remember that they produced tanks mainly for their
own use - exporting was a bonus and even then most of the exports went
to fairly unsophisticated countries in the Middle East/Africa where,
again, roads are relatively unpaved. Those former Warsaw pact countries
that received russian tanks used tank transporters far more frequently
than their NATO counterparts probably because of the damage caused to roads.

TTFN
Jim