Re: [MV] M35A2 Multifuel Runaway Concern.

From: kuhrick (kuhrick@comcast.net)
Date: Fri Mar 18 2005 - 02:59:09 PST

At 02:34 PM 3/17/2005, MV wrote:
>While bad things can happen with heavy trucks, diesel runaway, and split
>rims blowing apart, the fact remains that most trucks do not runaway and
>most split rims do not blow apart.
>
>I live in the country where most of the older farm trucks have split rims
>and virtually every tractor around here (except for my old ones) are
>diesels. I have never known of someone to lose a diesel due to runaway,
>but I am sure it has happened.
>
>When I ran a stick into my M51 dump tire, I thought oh crap, I wonder if
>the tire guys down the road will fix this split rim wheel/tire.
>
>I brought it to them and asked them if they could fix it, the answer was,
>we'll see since we don't know how big the hole it! OK, can you give me an
>idea of cost. $20 plus a boot patch if required. It was $24.00 with the
>patch and it was done in a hour. I later asked them if they had any
>problems mounting tires on split rims. And they said no, they do it all
>of the time.
>
>They told me that they only blow if the wheel isn't put together correctly
>or if the components are bent which means the ring parts won't seat
>properly. They showed me the cage they use to inflate the tires. They
>said they haven't blown a ring off in years, since they know what they are
>doing.
>
>On the otherhand, when I lived in Cincinnati (urban area) the huge local
>commerical tire guys would not mount split rims. They had a contractor
>come on site to do the mounting in the parking lot??? It was something
>like $60/wheel or so and a couple day wait. What a difference.
>
>If you sense a runaway situation, I would recommend that you throw the
>trans into high gear, hit the brakes and release the clutch. That should
>stall the engine. I would definitely not recommend opening the hood and
>attempting to cover the intake. My life is worth more than that.
>
>However, I would be more concerned about running over something in an
>urban setting rather than worrying about a runaway or a tire ring blowing off.
>
>Dave
the runaways i have heard of was at start up in the army sales lot
and mite have been seting 2-3 years
and a man was o right fender with stuff to choke off air supply
and that man was in the know
i bet if your in the drivers seat its too late to help it
plungers on fuel pump stick and the pull to kill was stuck as well so
the choke off the air stuuly saved that motor
i bet talking injector pump to a injector pump shop after a long
lay up would save the day
butt cost money and make you retime the motor butt you motor would not
be a baskit case

ken
m886