Re: [MV] 1,000,000 jeeps??

From: Jim Gilmore (jgilmore@ptd.net)
Date: Tue Mar 22 2005 - 19:22:22 PST

John wrote:

>".......Jim : I'm looking at a August 1945 copy of "Up front " Sixth printing Page 114 , could you tell me how you could determine that jeep is a Ford or a Willys?......"

Well John.......

I wrote,

........the original drawing was of a Calvary Sergeant "putting down" his Ford GP. It was much later redrawn and a MB/GPW substituted for the GP..........

  The drawing you refer to is the later redrawn one.

For a look at the first, original, drawing......see "The American Jeep in War and Peace" by Kurt Willinger and Gene Gurney, page 34, upper right hand. There you will see the original drawing on the Ford GP done by Bill Mauldin.

 This was drawn while Mauldin was stationed at Fort Devens and was originally published in "Yank" magazine.

 The one you refer to was the later redrawn one published in "Stars and Stripes" magazine

Jim Gilmore