Re: [MV] No bargains at auctions like G/L's - I don't get it...

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Thu Mar 24 2005 - 08:59:57 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "MV" <MV@dc9.tzo.com>
To: "chance wolf" <chance_wolf@shaw.ca>
Sent: Thursday, March 24, 2005 6:49 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] No bargains at auctions like G/L's - I don't get it...

> I can't see how the dealers are getting cut out of this when they are
> selling two different products. I think of a dealer as a company that
> is trying to sell a product in a known condition with some assurance
> that the customer gets what they paid for. IE, "the truck actually does
> have a running engine". Whereas GL sells stuff and you hope the
> description matches the actual item. This seems like two entirely
> different situations.

Dealers got their stuff through DRMS. It's the same product. Dealers then
offered those same vehicles (or what-not) to the public on a "value-added"
basis (which might be anything from a rebuild to Armour-All-ing the tires)
for a mark-up which ranged from the Type A "I turned this into a decent
truck and should make at least a few dollars off of it" guys to the Type B
"I bet I can find one of these collector nuts who'd pay $17,000 bucks for
this."

Dealer Type A now sees his "raw material" trucks going for astronomical
prices on GL and can no longer afford to purchase them because he still
typically has to put a bunch of work and parts into them to sell them to an
end-user and still be able to look at himself in the mirror every morning,
and he knows he can't recoup that in the Supply Line/Military Vehicles
market. Dealer Type B never cared about that sort of stuff anyway, and will
just jack his price to $23,000 and wait for the inevitable
Fool-And-His-Money-Soon-Parted. Type B makes enough on each sucker that he
can afford to just sit back and leave his line in the water until he gets a
bite, and can then point to the amount of money stuff goes for on GL with a
grin and a well-polished, "See? I ain't askin' so much, boy. Why, this'n in
the yard here runs purty as you please, and thems on GL goin' fer that there
see-ri-ous money, well, them's tired out mules, ma boy." Riiiiight. Same
mule, different saddle.

("Plus there's that there 'Supply and Dee-mand', ma boy - I gots the Supply,
and you gots the Demand! Feel free to indulge in thigh-slappin' once you
finished forkin' over...")