Re: [MV] No bargains at auctions like G/L's - I don't get it...

From: MV (MV@dc9.tzo.com)
Date: Thu Mar 24 2005 - 06:49:14 PST

There are some things going on in this GL market that I really don't
understand.

First the stuff is being sold as-is - with less than "no guarantee" -
you might not even get the stuf that was advertised.

People are paying above market rates for this equipment.

Dealers also can sell as-is, but when a truck is sold it was often sold
as being reconditioned, checked, etc. Those old prices were actually
less than what GL is getting for AS-IS, less than no guarantee
equipment. Even more ironic, I see used M35's on the private market
that are apparently running and in fairly good condition, going for less
than the trucks on GL that are in worse condition.

So are people buying GL stuff, then realizing that they got screwed or
that they can't use it, fixing it up somewhat and then selling it at a
loss??

Perhaps the high cost of scrap steel is also playing a part in this.

I can't see how the dealers are getting cut out of this when they are
selling two different products. I think of a dealer as a company that
is trying to sell a product in a known condition with some assurance
that the customer gets what they paid for. IE, "the truck actually does
have a running engine". Whereas GL sells stuff and you hope the
description matches the actual item. This seems like two entirely
different situations.

At the same time, the medium duty used truck market is pretty much in
the toilet. I bought a 2 ton diesel, flatbed truck this winter for
$1700 and the guy drove it 300 miles to me to deliver it. It needs some
minor sheetmetal work, but is entirely usable as is.

So what gives? Who is paying $4000 for a M35 parts truck? Sounds like
very expensive scrap metal to me.

Can GL bid up their own auctions??? I haven't read their fine print
sufficiently to know whether that is possible or not according to their
terms. Something simply doesn't smell right.

Dave