Re: [MV] Gear Oil

From: Marc Strangfeld (mjstrangfeld@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Mar 30 2005 - 03:21:00 PST

Bruce,

You're right this topic has been discussed. I don't
think we ever got a general consensus either so here
are my thoughts. I use standard 80W90. Always have,
always will. Never had a problem, doubt I ever will.
Never met someone who has had a problem either. Your
cousin's brother's uncle who wrecked an auxiliary in
an old Mack doesn't count. In addition to that, I was
having a problem with my transmission shifting rough
in cold weather. I looked into synthetic but decided
not to pay $8.00 a quart. I ended up with Mystic
75W90 semi-synthetic for $4.00 a quart. Problem
solved. The transmission shifts just as smooth as
when warmed up. I'm going to replace the
differentials and transfer case lube with
semi-synthetic the next time it's due for a change
also. If there was a problem when the newer formulas
first came out I don't know. However, I doubt that
oil manufacturers would/could continue to produce a
product after all these years that claims to be
harmless to in fact cause damage...but on the other
hand, the only thing Pennzoil was ever good for was
the sponsorship to Eddie Hill. I will be happy to
admit it when and if I have problems related to using
80W90. I just don't think I'll have to.

Marc

--- "Bruce C. Beattie" <bruce@eecs.berkeley.edu>