Re: [MV] fuel

From: earl.beverly@us.abb.com
Date: Mon Apr 04 2005 - 09:57:22 PDT

Hi Gene, Hi All,

I actually work in the business. I am the lead engineer for an ethylene
cracking/poly ethylene unit that ABB is building in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil.
I have worked in several gasoline/diesel refineries, so I am not new to the
process. (I should be in Rio until September).

The trick that I am looking to build is "small". There is a guy selling a
three million dollar, 10 acre, 16,000 gallons per day unit out of South
Carolina. That is quite a bit more than I am looking for. I am thinking
everything in a 4'x8'x4' package and producing 100 gallons per day. Maybe
everything in 8'x8'x40' container with 100 gpd.

I am hoping to gain from anyone's practical experience with Lab scale
thermal cracking and separating. The idea being to;

Heat the oil to about 1300 deg F. This will break the oil into light ends,
raw gasoline, and fuel oil. The gasses and gasoline are used to fire the
furnace, the fuel oil gets filtered, stored, and used. This is an overly
simplified version, but you get the idea.

Once again - looking for practical experience or even thoughts on the
subject.

Thanks, Earl

Message from "SGM PANTANO" <TRUKS1@msn.com> received on 04/04/2005 01:07 PM

It has been done..it is being done.. Many oil companies used to buy back
drain oil and re --refine it. The E FRIGGING PA stopped most of it.. Go to
local refinery if you have one...and ask them.. It was a very simple
operation..but -- it was very cost effective and made cheap fuel -- so the
EPA stopped it..
Gene