Screams

From: earl.beverly@us.abb.com
Date: Fri Apr 08 2005 - 05:04:10 PDT

Hi All,
 While home on R&R in February, I bought a M51, 5 ton dump truck from a
friend. He has been working the truck hauling sand and fill in the
subdivision where he lives on the Trinity river. I drove the truck 15 or so
miles to my place where I will use it. The transmission literally screams
while driving. In town, I downshifted and the truck was so loud as to cause
everyone to look. I flew out the next day and did not have time to pull any
plugs and check levels, but Jeff, the friend, and I had talked about it and
he assured me that he has serviced the truck looking for the noise.
 I am not sure if this is transmission, transfer, or what. It sounds like
center of truck more than up front and definitely not rear.
 Anyone have similar experience and a solution.
 Also, the top still has some fabric, but has deteriorated quite a bit from
the sun. I think that some canvas treatment would help me squeeze a couple
of more years out of the top. Where can I buy a gallon. (This is not my
only canvas)
Thanks,
Earl