Re: [MV] Cost of petrol

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Apr 07 2005 - 23:00:34 PDT

At 12:17 AM -0500 4/8/05, MV wrote:
>Yep, the entire "drilling in Alaska is good for
>this country" thing is load of crap. Drilling
>in Alaska is good for Alaskan's (no state tax -
>they get a check). And it is good for big oil.
>So why does GWB want to drill in Alaska??

Its not that simple from things I've heard read
and basically know about market economics. Are
you going to tell a company that they can't
export a product? Anwar was setup as an oil
reserve way back when. It also worked as a nature
preserve. Now the DOE and the Administration say
drill there to tap that reserve.

>Another fine example of this countries resources
>being sold off to profit a few.

Free Market. That's what we like.

>I believe we are the number 1 exporter of scrap
>metal to China. Wonder why steel prices are so
>high - China is buying up all of the scrap and
>coke. Most of the timber harvested off the
>Pacific coast in Alaska goes to Japan.

Also keep in mind that refined steel we'd get
from overseas (remember all the unions that drove
domestic labor up so the plant's closed down in
the rust belt?) is getting refined over in the
Pac Rim in Korea and they're selling to the
customers that are buying it.

> It goes on and on. Your country's resources
>are being sold for private profit and China and
>Japan are very happy about it. Will you and I
>benefit from drilling in Alaska? Will the price
>of oil come down? Will we be more secure? Nope.

Buy the mine rights, develop the resource, sell
the product. That's how it works here. Or do you
want to nationalize private assets and say to
hell with the 4th amendment?

--
--
Ryan Gill              rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |                   |         -==----
   |s|\        /|s|   |s|/BSV 575\|s|   |x|-\|     |/-|x|
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/2)