Re: [MV] British superiority.... WWII

From: Mil-Veh Co. (milveh@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Fri Apr 08 2005 - 13:22:23 PDT

It's true the British carriers did carried less planes
than the U.S. carriers due to the heavy deck armour,
however this was the trade-off in consideration of,
"It's better to live to fight another day." ( I
support that kind of thinking! )

Think of how many planes/crew were lost because
Japanese bombs easily passed throught the thin wood
deck and exploded deep into the vulnerable areas,
i.e., Yorktown, battle of the Coral Sea. Toward the
end of the war everyone was scrambling to armour the
carrier decks and naturally all carriers decks are now
armoured, so that ought to tell you something.

Quite bluntly the British were right on this one and
years ahead of the Japanese and American.

As to the 75mm punching holes in the Tiger, well I
suppose an odd shot might stop one, but that's the
exception, not the rule. However, I have observed
what happens to a Sherman's 2" armour when hit by an
88. Few crewmen survived a single hit by an 88, many,
many Tigers were unaffected by multiple hits from a
75.