Re: [MV] British superiority.... WWII

From: Steve & Jeannie Keith (cckw@comcast.net)
Date: Fri Apr 08 2005 - 15:00:40 PDT

> Quite bluntly the British were right on this one and
> years ahead of the Japanese and American.

Post war US carriers were much bigger and could afford the top
heavyness. They still only carry about the same number of
planes as a WW2 one. After the Hornet we never lost another fleet
carrier in WW2 to ariel bombs. Many of the early losses were
due to poor firefighting capabilities.

As far as guns go, I have the use of a 57mm AT gun that was basically
a chinese copy of the British one. I found a 'feature' of the British
design in that once you open the trails, they have to be perfectly
alligned with the steps on the axle to get them back together. If
they pivot on the axle (like they are allowed to) you have a hell
of a time getting them back together. Great design for shoot
and scoot....