USS AMERICA-carrier concept

From: Convoy Magazine (convoymagazine@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Apr 13 2005 - 06:58:43 PDT

I read recently where the US is going to develop ships
based on commercial designs...ie like supertankers,
but with flat decks...not carriers per se, but carrier
like..to transport VTOL models of the joint strike
fighter and helos..
These would be used as offshore "bases" from which to
launch. The US seems to want to move away from fixed
land bases as these are too vulnerable to attack in
the current and projected future type of conflicts.

Marc-2