Re: USS AMERICA-carrier concept

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Apr 13 2005 - 07:33:26 PDT

At 6:58 AM -0700 4/13/05, Convoy Magazine wrote:
>I read recently where the US is going to develop ships
>based on commercial designs...ie like supertankers,
>but with flat decks...not carriers per se, but carrier
>like..to transport VTOL models of the joint strike
>fighter and helos..

This has been proposed before. One concept involved the use of fast container ships as a modular weapons platform or helicopter carrier by placing specific containers in a given form so as to allow the creation of flight decks, hangars, workshops and weapons launch points. It's never been implemented in any significant form. However, the British did use some container ships in a limited manner for their drubbing of Argentine forces off the coast of the Falklands.

>These would be used as offshore "bases" from which to
>launch. The US seems to want to move away from fixed
>land bases as these are too vulnerable to attack in
>the current and projected future type of conflicts.

I suspect that we'll still want bases in places that are considered bastions. I say tell the Saudi's to get bent and buy a bunch of land in northern Kurdistan. I'm sure the Kurds would love to have us there insuring their security.

--
--
-                 Data Center Operations Group                -