RE: [MV] Hello from a new list member

From: Baker, George R. - Eastman (grbaker@eastman.com)
Date: Sun Apr 24 2005 - 19:51:52 PDT

Welcome to the list, it's refreshing to hear about your restoration project. I would go with the Gillespie 319 or 33070 if it where me.

G.R.Baker
http://tired-iron.mounet.com

________________________________

Sent: Sun 4/24/2005 10:26 PM
To: Military Vehicles Mailing List
Subject: [MV] Hello from a new list member

Greetings from the new guy!

We own a 1945(?) M29C Weasel without floatation gear. It of course is
missing all of the data plates with the serial numbers and I am basing the
date on the engine casting date (June 16, 1945). This is our second weasel,
the first one being long gone.

We are restoring it back to its original look, making repairs as needed and
undoing the modifications made by others over the years. The last rebuild
at POD deleted the flotation tanks, winch drive, primer pump and all other
primer parts, installed a starter "magnet switch" instead of a starter
solenoid, modified battery box, muffler under the floor, two new headlights,
a tail light, a rod for the throttle instead of the push-pull cable, a rod
for the clutch instead of the cable and hinged lids for the air intake and
exhaust ducts. I may keep some of these mods as parts to return to original
are hard to find.

One track was repaired with conveyor belting due to broken rubber track
bands and the other is stretched due to broken steel cables in the rubber
track bands and needs repair soon.

Can anyone offer a suggestion for OD paint color? I know there are some
good paints available but there are quite a few colors out there. I am
partial to the more brown olive drab like FS33070 than the one with more
green such as FS34086 or the one called "319". What about the color offered
by Army Jeep Parts called "AJP"?

Your thoughts, please....

Terry & Carolyn Welshans
Homer Glen, Illinois

"Always do right- this will gratify some and astonish the rest. "
Mark Twain (1835-1910)