RE: [MV] Hello from a new list member

From: Terry & Carolyn Welshans (welshans2@comcast.net)
Date: Sun Apr 24 2005 - 20:11:00 PDT

George said:

Welcome to the list, it's refreshing to hear about your restoration project.
I would go with the Gillespie 319 or 33070 if it where me.

G.R.Baker
http://tired-iron.mounet.com
-------------------------------------

Thanks, George. I have been a long time reader in the archives, just never
got around to joining the list or posting.

I have been trying to get a sample of these paints to see what they really
look like. Color is a personal choice - I want it to have a certain look,
but I don't have something very large to match it to. I have two original
OD paint layers under the existing paint. Boy, what a job that is - it is
now yellow inside and out, including under the engine from the 1956 rebuild.
The fuel tank was white under two colors of OD which was under yellow.

Outside, below the main body tub - in the underframe area and all of the
suspension parts - it is orange, and there is orange under the yellow inside
and out, Under the orange are at least two coats of OD, a darker green over
a lighter brown-green. That is the color I want to match up with as it is
the first layer, and the original color. The bogie, return, drive and idler
wheels are all OD, with the bogie springs and linkage all orange.

I bought some replacement NOS windshield support arm knobs from Murray in DE
and they have OD paint on them that is a little darker green.

I sure would like to see samples of the "319" paint so I can compare it to
FS33070. So far I like the FS33070 the best.

Here is the web site where I am documenting the rebuild:

http://www.terrystoy.com/M29C/Weasel1.htm

My son and I relined the steering brakes last weekend, and a buddy and I
reassembled the final drive unit today. We will install it next weekend.

Regards,

Terry Welshans
Homer Glen, Illinois

"Always do right- this will gratify some and astonish the rest. "
Mark Twain (1835-1910)