Re: [MV] OT: Sandblasting and Painting Military Vehicles

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Mon Apr 25 2005 - 10:11:00 PDT

At 11:47 AM -0500 4/25/05, John Brian Seeling wrote:

>First Question: do they even sell blasting sand anymore? I've always used
>a respirator for blasting and painting, but it would seem like blasting sand
>is a thing of the past. What is everybody using now for blasting media?
>(cheap stuff).

I'm using starblast. Its available from your usual blast media supply houses and works and flows well. IT doesn't absorb moisture like sand tends to so it tends to flow even better in a siphon setup like I have.

You'll want to use dust protection (respirator) but you're worrying about far less silica in this than in regular sand. The media works really well and doesn't seem to take much if any metal off and leaves a very nice satin finish to the metal. IT seems to cut rust and old paint quite nicely too.

>Second Question: Is there a good Harbor Freight or other inexpensive but
>decent quality/capacity setup that I should purchase for my hobby work? I'm
>not looking for a blaster that will be used every day, but I want something
>that WORKS when I need it (once a month, or perhaps less).

I have a cheap sear's plastic bin siphon setup and it seems to do reasonably well. I haven't taken it to the Dingo yet for some serious blasting yet, but it's on the list of to dos.

--
--
-                 Data Center Operations Group                -