Re:Sandblasting and Painting Military Vehicles

From: Jim (W7LS@BLARG.net)
Date: Mon Apr 25 2005 - 10:25:33 PDT

Oh, I think it is very 'on-topic' for this list. Here are my findings:

1. I bought the cheapish Harbor Freight pressure pot blaster and tried it with silica sand from Home Depot. No good. It surged, clogged, and generally worked poorly. That could well have been because I used the silica sand that was really too big for it. HF does sell some really really fine sand and that may be what you need to buy. The HD sand is $6 per hundred pound sack. HF is way more.

2. The HF 'spot blaster' works well if you use the fine HF sand and 'ok' if you use the HD sand, but it's a hand held gun type thing and not going to do large areas very well. It costs about $15 on their current sale.

Good luck! Keep us aprised of your findings, please. Jim