Re: [MV] 165' ex-USN

From: Fred Martin (mung@in-touch.net)
Date: Mon Apr 25 2005 - 11:54:15 PDT

As a former tender sailor....machinery repairman (machinist) I've had
some experience machining the thrust bearing surfaces...on a tincan
about 3' diameter....pretty good sized lathe required and a horizontal
boring mill to bore and cheek and oil groove the spring bearings that
support the shaft as it goes back thru the shaft alley. The thrust
bearings were segmented and there were several of them fitted around the
thrust surface of the shaft. Also the bearings had to be hand scraped to
fit the shaft with Prussian bluing and hand scrapers. Would also need
molders and pattern makers to make up the molds for the bearings and
pouring them and plenty of high speed babbit. If you can picture a
destroyer with it's wake behind it pushing the ship forward...it puts a
lot of push against the propellor shaft and it requires a lot of bearing
surface to handle it....and you can't forget to cut in the lube oil to
it as in one case I'm referring to. They court martialed the black gang
that forgot. Had to cut hatches and doorways just to get it out and over
on the tender. Took pictures of it after every move....even me as I
machined it and afterward when it was done. Fred Martin USS Arcadia
and USS Shenandoah....tenders.